Saturday, January 16, 2010

Home again

Hey everyone! I hope you're enjoying your weekend so far...thanks for the positive feedback on my goals! You ladies are the best :)

I got home a few hours ago from a family ski vacation in Park City. Sadly, I didn't take too many pictures, but there were plenty of good eats! I come from a family of foodies, and every night was delicious...espescially last night, when we shared Guinness fried onion rings dipped in raspberry ketchup, and I had a decadent Irish Whiskey creme brulee for dessert at an Irish pub :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Tequila shots at a Mexican restaurant...even my mom did one!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
View from our condo


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Mike and I after our last dinner

Mike and I made dinner in our condo on Thursday night, and since Mike's mom is a great healthy cook, he asked her to send us the recipe for his favorite tempeh bolognese sauce. We couldn't find tempeh anywhere in Park City, so we replaced it with Lightlife Smart Sausage, and it worked really well! (Mike says the tempeh version is just as good, so I'll have to try it out too.)

Vegan Tempeh Bolognese Sauce


- olive oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 large shredded carrot
- 1 package of tempeh (or vegan "meat" replacement)
- 28 oz canned fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tbs oregano
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water

In a large pan, sautée the chopped onion in olive oil until brown (about 20 minutes). Add the shredded carrot and let cook for about 5 more minutes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In a separate skillet, cook tempeh/"meat" in olive oil and sautée until browned (the finished product should be the consistency of cooked ground beef). Add to the carrot and onion mixture.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Add the remaining ingredients (tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, wine and water), stir well and allow to simmer covered on low for about one hour.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Serve over whole wheat pasta (I topped mine with nutritional yeast, too). On the side we had a mixed salad and organic whole wheat bread dipped in yummy olive oil. It was a vegan Italian feast!

Well, I'm off to unpack and watch TV by the Christmas tree one last time...SO late taking it down, I know! Enjoy your weekends!

3 comments:

sophia said...

I'm so lazy, if I had a Christmas tree, it would be taken down in the middle of summer, lol.
And irish whisky creme brulee?! Whoa, sounds decadent, all right!

Anonymous said...

you and mike are so cute :) glad you are posting again girl!!

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.. you are gorgeous! I cant wait to keep reading :)

Post a Comment