Well, it seems as though yesterday’s wet and chilly half caught up with me today. I’m currently installed in bed with tea, tissues and a box of cereal, hoping that a good night’s sleep and plenty of fluids will make this head cold pass quickly!
I woke up feeling fine, just a tad sniffly. Breakfast was a bowl of Fiber One and Nature’s Path Mesa Sunrise with fresh raspberries and Almond Dream.
Despite having stretched yesterday afternoon, my legs were feeling pretty stiff. Mike suggested I get moving a little, so I took a brisk two-mile power walk around the West Village before it started raining. I spent a good half hour stretching when I got back, and it was around that time that my head started pounding and my nose got progressively stuffier. By the time lunch rolled around, my appetite was nonexistent, so I made something small, dense and nutrient-rich.
PB&J with Maranatha peanut butter and Bonne Maman apricot preserves on French Meadow Bakery Women’s bread, along with a Fuji and two clementines
Since one of my afternoon classes had already been cancelled, I made the executive decision to skip my second in order to finish working on a paper and take a nap. Sleep was a great incentive for getting work done! I snacked on a bowl of strawberries and bananas with chocolate rice protein sauce before napping for an hour:
Strawberries and bananas topped with 2T NutriBiotic chocolate rice protein and 1T cocoa powder mixed with a splash of water
I couldn’t skip my last lab, so I snacked on a Tumaro’s honey wheat tortilla with Tribe hummus before braving the rain.
I wasn’t too hungry after lab, but I knew that after yesterday’s run I needed to eat! Dinner was quick and easy:
Steamed broc with nutritional yeast
Amy’s Kitchen split pea soup with more nooch mixed in, topped with pepper and hot sauce (I’ve come to the conclusion that soup is the least photogenic food in existence)
I also had another Fuji with some PB&Co. White Chocolate Wonderful, as well as a block of Baker’s dark chocolate:
Love this stuff. I bought the box of eight individually wrapped squares for about $4.50, but it’s definitely just as delicious as some of the more expensive brands!
Finally, I wanted to post the TWLOHA photos a few of you sent me in celebration of last Wednesday’s To Write Love on Her Arms day!
Ana from An Active Adventure
Jaclyn from JustJac
Lisa from HealthNuttxo
Mine!
Thank you so much for participating, girls! For more information on TWLOHA, check it out here. They have a great mission statement, and it’s so easy to spread the word!
Anyone have any good cold remedies? I swear by lots of sleep, but I think eating well also helps speed up recovery!
What’s your favorite brand of chocolate? When price is no object, I love Godiva, Lindt, Dagoba!












51 comments:
I take 5-6 vitamin C capsules daily when I feel a cold coming on. Looks like you got your vit c in. Fight it, sweat it out!
I've never thought about buying those baker squares...good idea!
Emergen-C is my go to for curing a cold. That stuff is magic!
Gabriela!!! I hope you feel better girl! Its good your resting as much as you can and taking meds! I would drink tea too and take vitamin c!! They have those vitamin C packs, you just mix with water, they are good!!
Gett better love : )
xoxo
Maybe the luna bars are on sale at your target too!! So your fave flavor is the caramel nut brownie? I love it too!!!
I hope you feel better soon! Drink a lot of water and rest a lot!
Cure for a cold is hot cinnamon tea...and the best chocolate is Godiva no contest.
Feel better, girl!! Rainy, cold weather is never a good combo.
COLD-FX!! It's pricey but everytime I feel a cold coming on I pop em like candies and POOF! (poof being the absence of a cold... haha)
I just got sick today too! Yucky for both of us :( I swear by zinc, sudafed, and ibuprofen...
I like Green and Black's dark chocolate and the Trader Joe's pound plus bar; big and very cheap! And I totally forgot TWLOHA day, grrrr...
I am so sorry to hear about your cold! I usually just sleep through my colds if at all possible. I hope your cold goes away soon though.
The Bonne Maman Apricot is addictive! I can't hardly make a jar last longer than a week. Let's just say I have a lot of old Bonne Maman jars around my kitchen....
Get well soon Missy!
:)
i SWEAR by Cold-eeze- the lozenges (wild cherry and pomegranate are the best!) i literally pop one in when i feel the sniffles coming on, and my cold is only 1-2 days MAX. the stuff is AMAZING!!
and as for chocolate,
i love dove & newmans own organic (caramel cups are killller).
& awesome TWLOHA post! i wore short sleeves that day (haha oops!) i had so many comments, i got some friends to do it too!
xoxoox
feel better! could be a combintion of crumby weather, running, and school!ughh
fav chocolalte is godiva,or dove,or...etc lol but its gotta be dark.
but i actually prefer chocolatey things (brownies,ice cream, fro yo)vs chocolate chocolate.but i dont kno, my tastes are kinda changing
xoxoxo
sweet dreams
Oh feel better honey! best thing is to rest, drink oj and stay in bed!!!
best chocolate? guittard; they don't use any wax in their chocolate...makes it rich and awesome!
oh boo - feel better soon! I usually go with lots of sleep, lots of water and emergen c's! Take care!
I usually go for Bliss or Dove!
Darn it! I forgot to send you my TWLOHA photo. :(
I will post it on my next blog post, though!
Awww my love I hope you feel better! I agree with all of your cold remedies- sleep, comforting meals, lots of fluids, and taking it easy. So glad that you're taking such good care of yourself!
I loooove Lindt 85% dark chocolate the best. It's bliss.
Have a lovely night!! Get some rest!
ahh feel better my lovely!!
i LOVE ZICAM for colds-knocks it out ASAP! u must try it!!
fav chocolate- im a dove baby :)
love you!! fill me in on your life girl!
Feel better! I'm sure you'll feel normal once it's nice and sunny out again. It's pretty much impossible to have the sniffles when it's gorgeous outside!
oh no lady not you too!! it is seriously get sick season i think. i hope you feel better soon lady :) Rest up, your body will thank you immensely!
Feel better! Sleep is more important than class, any day :)
I always drink mint tea when I'm down - wakes me up instantly!
Sees candies make wicked chococlate candies. better than godiva. for pure chocolate, dagoba, scharffen berger, endangered species, green and blacks, to name a few.
sickness
ginger, probiotics or anything fermented to support immune system of which 80% is in the gut. Zinc, vit c, positive thinking :)
get well soon honey!
Whoa, sounds like everyone is falling sick these days! I hope you feel better. Cold remedies....for me, it's just a warm bed, and chicken soup!
I'm sorry you're feeling sick, I hope it clears up soon...I know how terrible it can be feeling sick during finals time! Good luck with you're school work...my only remedies are lots of rest, oranges, and hot tea.
Have a great Tuesday!
OHHH NOOOO!!!! You poor thing!!!!! I take zinc + Vit C (with food!) when I'm sick...lots of fluids and foods containing lots of nutrients...and most of all, REST!
Hope you feel better soon ma dear!!! xoxoxox
I hope you feel better! I love lots of tea and water (although water tastes bad when I'm sick) and I swear lemon helps too!
Mmmm...chocolate! I love See's Candy for boxed filling chocolates but would kill for Godiva!
Feel better soon! If you can make it to Liquiteria (or have them deliver to you) I always used to get a bottle of the All Greens with Apple for nutrients and their Hot Tonic or whatever it's called...it's hot with lemon, apple, ginger, etc - so soothing and it tastes so good.
I don't really have any tips for a cold, but I sure do hope that you start feeling better soon!
I just want to say again how bossy you are for that half in the rain! BEAST.
When I feel a cold coming on, I amp up the berry intake and start eating mostly raw foods (and cut out processed food, but you don't really eat hugely processed food). I feel as though the greens and antioxidants push the sickness out. I swear it normally works for me.
My fave brand of chocolate is Newman's Own Organic. It is so rich and creamy, all flavors. So delish. Damn, I need to buy some.
I hope you feel better soon, love! xoxo
OMG! The best dark chocolate ever is Chocolove extra strong dark! Gotta try it!
aw my poor girl :( I swear by hot soup and plenty of chocolate when I'm feeling sickly :) Sending healthy vibes and love your way.. *hugs!!*
Ah sorry you're sniffling--damn rain. TWLOHA has such a great cause.
Aww, beauty, feel better! This nasty weather certainly doesn't improve matters.
1. Piping hot, rosemary- and thyme-laced soup. Toast and avocado aren't bad choices, either--I always need something a little salty.
2. I absolutely love Theo chocolates, especially the 82% and the Bread and Chocolate. If you can ever get your hands on a good dark Venezuelan chocolate, though--it's revolutionary.
Lovin' that pb&j girl! Can't beat a classic!
And you are so right about soup - so gross looking but so good. And Amy's split pea is da bomb.
As for dark chocolate, I love Lindt's extra dark or dark with sea salt. I recently tried my first dagoba bar - the one with chilis in it, so so good!
I hope you don't get a cold girlie. Get some zzz's when you can and drink lotsa water : )
Soup is annoyingly unphotogenic. Although adding hot sauce adds a nice contrasting color (and deliciousness!).
But I think part of the problem for me is that I eat soup when there's crappy weather, which leads to crappy light, which leads to crappy pictures!
Awww Gabriela, feel better love!!! Colds are the worst, especially during the end of school. Yuck! I think you're doing all you can, plenty of nutritious food and rest, rest, rest!!! My prayers and thoughts are with you!!
I can't believe I've never though of buying Baker's chocolate! I LOVE the stuff and I use it to make fudge every Christmas. My favorite chocolate is probably Godiva. Or Ghiradelli. I love all chocolate, what can I say? :D
Love you!!
i want to get into nooch - it looks rully good but i'm kind of scared of it.
my favorite chocolate is dove dark - my grandfather used to bring each of his grandkids a huuuuge bag every time he saw us and would make us keep them in the freezer and tell our mom our blood sugar was low so we could have some.
I know I am kinda late in the game but congrats on your HALF!!!!! I am so stinkin proud of you. I could never have trained in those NY conditions...you are a rock star!
I hope you feel better though...that is not fun being sick!
Oh no, hun! I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Hopefully it doesn't last too long. My remedies for beating the cold bug are lots of rest/sleep, warm soups, teas, and lots of fresh fruit high in vitamin C. But it looks like you're doing a great job of keeping your body properly nourished :)
My favorite brand of chocolate is Dagoba. I'm loving the lemon ginger and lavender blueberry flavors.
I hope you get to feeling better! When I feel myself coming down with a cold I rest, drink at ton of water, and take multi-vitamin and EmergenC. Seems to do the trick!
mmm, Amy's split pea is my fave, even though it does look a little funny. ;)
hot water with lemon, fresh ginger, cayanne pepper and honey!! brew it all together and drink it down! it knocks that cold right out!! im telling you it slike magic!!
feel better girlie!!
I hope you are feeling better today!!! I love drinking emergen-C when I feel like I am getting sick, it works wonders!!!
Feel better!
I gotta go with Godiva chocolate!
Ugh, I woke up feeling under the weather too :( I know that I ton of people swear the exercise makes them feel better, so I went to yoga class this morning. Even though it was a low-intensity class, it made me feel worse :/ I'm with you - I think that tons of rest and sleep is the way to go.
I'm not even a huge chocolate fan, but I LOVE Godiva. I only eat it around Christmas time, though, because my dad always gets a big basket of it from one of his clients ;) One of the many reasons I can't wait for the holidays to roll around again, haha!
Hope you are feeling better beautiful! Ahhhhhhhh we should buy the chocolate peanutbutter things ourselves!!!! Wouldn't that be fun if we lived closer, have a bottle of wine and cram a box of those!! lol!!! Ahhhhh that would be the best!
Love ya!! xoxo
Get well soon, love!
I just sent you an email :D
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela
Feel better sooN!
Omgosh I love the LOVE posts, so cool to be a part of it!
I really want to try your fruit w/ cooca powder.. but I don't thin kI have any. haha do you think hot chocolate mix sprinkled on top would work?
I think you're probably sick from your half! Running all those miles + rain + wind will do it to ya! Take care!! <3
Congratulations on the half marathon!!!!! Woooo!!!!
Hope you're feeling better!! :) :)
Boo! Sorry you're sick, my friend. I wholeheartedly agree with both the sleep and eating well remedies (I always seem hungrier when I'm sick.
"Mike suggested I get moving a little..." I think YOU should have suggested MIKE give you a massage! Just sayin'. ;)
Hope your feeling better!!
Oh now hope you start feeling better! I would recommend getting rest and up your fluids, like you probably have not heard that before, but honestly you need to let you body fight the cold. Although I know you an active person and eat well, so you probably have a good immune system, so I think you will start feeling better before you know it!
Awww!! Hope you're feeling better by now!!
When I have a cold, I try to get lots of sleep, drink tea with honey and lemon, and eat lots of fruits and veggies :)
Post a Comment