Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Coconut Lovers and Whoopee Pie

Hi bloggies! I have to say, it feels strange to be posting in the AM, but since my schedule will be all over the place for the summer, I’m going to experiment with different posting times for awhile to see what works best for me.

Yesterday was kind of random, food-wise. I had cereal for breakfast (obviously):

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Nature’s Path SmartBran, Nature’s Path Vanilla Sunrise, raspberries and Almond Breeze

As I mentioned a few days ago, yesterday marked the start of the Fitnessista’s Summer Shape Up! I tailored my workout for the day around it and did:

-15 minutes of intervals on the elliptical (2 minutes 1 resistance, 30 seconds 10 resistance)
- bent-over fly (12 reps with 5lb weights)
- side lying lateral raise (12 reps on each side with 3lb weights)
- ultimate toe touch (12 reps on each leg)
- seated bicep curl (12 reps on each arm with 5lb weights)
- bent over row (12 reps on each arm with 5 lb weights)
- reverse crunch (12 reps)
- stability ball back extension (12 reps)
- crunches on a stability ball (15 reps)
- regular crunches (50)
- lifted leg crunches (50)
- medicine ball twists (50)
- leg lifts (25 on each leg)

I especially liked the stability ball back extension…there are very few exercises that let you “feel the burn” in your lower back, but this was one of them!

When lunchtime rolled around, my stomach was feeling kind of funky for no reason. I kept things easily digestible with more cereal and fruit:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Nature’s Path Millet Puffs in Almond Breeze (x2) and strawberries, plus some brazil nuts for fat and protein

That afternoon, I made a second batch of coconut cookies with some slight modifications. They turned out great! They’re very coconutty, so if you’re a fan, they’re delicious!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vegan Coconut Lover Cookies

1c rolled oats
½ c coconut flour
½ c unsweetened shredded coconut
1t baking powder
2t vanilla extract
3T coconut butter
2T coconut oil
½ c agave syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, thoroughly combine oats, coconut flour, shredded coconut and baking powder. Melt the coconut butter and coconut oil by microwaving for 30 seconds, then add agave and vanilla extract. Whisk with a fork until evenly combined, and add immediately to dry mixture. Working quickly, drop by rounded tablespoon into greased or lined mini-muffin pans. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until tops and edges begin to brown. Remove from oven, and allow to cool COMPLETELY before removing from muffin pans.

I didn’t take too many tastes while I was cooking because my stomach still felt funny, but I sampled one later in the evening and loved how much the coconut butter shines through. I snacked on a TJ’s dark chocolate stick and some leftover green salad from Sunday night, topped with mustard:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yesterday evening, I had the last of Mike’s mom’s Food for Life classes at Whole Foods. I packed a light dinner for the car:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maranatha almond butter on Ezekiel bread, plus an apple

Last night’s class covered antioxidants and healthy weight loss. I learned a lot of interesting information on antioxidants (such as beta-carotene and lycopene) and their effect on free radicals in the body. It’s fascinating that by eating just a few servings of colorful fruits and veggies a day, it’s possible to decrease your risk of certain cancers exponentially…we all know veggies are good for us, but there’s nothing like statistics to make people sit up and listen.

The cooking demonstration covered an “Asian Persuasion Coleslaw,” “Zippy Yams and Collards,” and “Artichoke and Lentil Stew.”

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I loved the coleslaw especially- it included peanuts and sesame seeds for a nice crunch! After class, I headed over to Mike’s to hang over for a bit, where I enjoyed an unpictured Trader Joe’s whoopee pie in celebration of his older sister’s birthday. Mike couldn’t believe that I’ve never actually had a whoopee pie before, but as with any sweet treat, I loved it!

I also wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who commented on my last post regarding the half marathon. I talked it over with my dad, and I’m going to try to run a few times this week and see how I feel before making the decision. If my body feels okay doing it, I’ll run it regardless of the time I end up with; if I’m in pain or feel physically tired, I won’t. All of your tips, input and support has really assured me that it’s okay to back out if my heart isn’t in it- there will always be more races, but this is the only body I get J Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

What’s your favorite antioxidant-rich food? I love berries and eat them almost every day with breakfast but I’m also a huge fan of tomatoes.
Have you ever had a whoopee pie? Did you like it? I’m such a nerd, but I feel like the name is too fun not to like them!

42 comments:

Anna said...

Great attitude about the race. I was a passionate long distance runner/all-state tennis player two years back, but all the impact and pounding took a toll on my body and I wound up with a debilitating injury. I haven't run since. I really regret pushing my body when it was begging me to stop. You're doing the right thing, and your body will thank you in the long run :-)

Chelsea said...

I did Gina's summer shape up yesterday too! My abs are feeling it today haha.

Berries are my fave too.

Kelly said...

The coconut cookies look great! I am still in search of coconut butter!!

I eat strawberries and blueberries every day! The mangosteen juice (Xango) has been the best for me! It is loaded with anitoxidants!

Exercise and Eat said...

I love acai smoothies- soo good, but so expensive! And i love whoopee pies! I could eat them anytime:)

Meg said...

I used to eat Moon Pies when I was a child...if that counts! Those cookies look amazing - might have to try those out as a gift for a friend!

Hope you're having a great Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look amazing! I think I'm the only person in a ten mile radius who just happens to have coconut flour lying around, too, so I will definitely give this a try.

Hmm...antioxidants. I suppose beets and beet greens. I absolutely love them roasted. Canned is fine, but roasted bulbs and sauteed greens with garlic and sea salt? Unreal.

Whoopee pies are weird/delicious. I split a pumpkin one from Whole Foods in November with a friend, and it was great; I think the cream was maple or cinnamon flavored (or something).

Anonymous said...

Aww, love whoopee pies! They remind me of my grandmother - she used to always bring them to the beach (along with raspberry turnovers yummm!). Berries are a big part of my life - bring on the antioxidants!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

Was this a specific day to do work out your core? It seems like a lot of the major muscle groups are missing from that workout.

Megan D said...

I tried a Whoopie Pie on sample at Trader Joe's and it was amazing! And I am a huuge coconut fan so I would love love love your cookies. I think you have a great attitude about the half marathon, good luck with your decision!!

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I've never had a whoppie pie, but I can promise I would love them. They just look so yummy and I'm with you..I love the name!

sophia said...

i'm glad you're listening to your body before jumping head-first into the race. I do hope you get to participate, but your health comes first! :-)

Antioxidants...what about green tea oats? And purple sweet potatoes!! :D

Anonymous said...

no idea what a whoopie pie was until now. haha.

i LOVE Brazilian nuts!

hbobier said...

Do artichokes count as antioxidant rich? Because that's the kind of mood I've been in lately. :)

I'm glad to hear you're letting your body make the call on the run. It's going to be better for you in the long run! (Pun intended.) Have a great day!!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

what an easy vegan recipe! i am going to whip these up for my vegan dudes this week. thanks, baberino! i love brazil nuts!

Anonymous said...

my dad is a whoopie pie FANATIC, so naturally i grew up loving them. :)

Anonymous said...

whoopie pies make me laugh just because of their name, i mean, cmon! maybe i'm just immature. i don't hate it.

that workout sounds awesome, i need to get my butt back to the gym!

Lived With Love said...

that workout looks awesome! xx

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

I think your plan for the half is really good! I'm so proud of you for listening to your body instead of being stubborn, like I can be.. haha. I think it's a runner thing, the stubbornness.
That class sounds like SO much fun! You are so lucky that your bf's mom is like that, she sounds perfect for you!
I think i've had a whoopie pie maybe once? But they are SO GOOD!! I have a recipe for a red velvet whoopie pie with cream cheese filling that I'm dying to try some day!
I loooove berries, of any kind! Recently, I can't get enough blackberries.. but strawberries and blueberries are my favorites.
And thank you for your comment on my blog, you are THE BEST!
Love you girl!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

BERRIES TOO!! i love them and they are a POWERHOUSE of antioxidants! i also love pomegranites but those buggers are so annoying to peel!! i love the pom seeds on yogurt and oats though!!!

whioppie pie..meh they are okay but I would MUCH prefer an ice cream sandwich!!

Missy said...

I love berries! I've also been making smoothies with maca powder and goji berries! I don't think I've ever had a whoopie pie!

Gabriela said...

@Samantha Angela: the first nine exercises were part of the Fitnessista's plan, which targets different muscles/stretching/cardio each day. I added the last four because yes, my favorite body part to work is core!!

Katie ♥ said...

Never had whoopee pie but love the name! lol!!!!

Yay for an awesome workout girl! Get it done!!!!!

I love the cookies you made, they look like they would be delish!!!!

THanks for the sweet words, things are so much better over in my world!!!!!!!! And they could get even better, so thank you love!!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

We always ate whoopie pies when I was at home. We also sometimes call them devil dogs, but whoopie pies sound like a whole lot more fun.

Kait said...

I've never had a whoopie pie either, but I read recipes for different kinds all the time. They look so yummy!! Good luck with the running/half-marathon decision.

Have a great day!

Tina said...

That looks like a great workout. And excellent fuel to go with it. The lecture sounds interesting. I love knowing the science behind healthy eating too. I wish more people took interest in it. Then there probably wouldn't be such a problem with the way we eat in America.

I think you approach to running the half marathon is a good one. Very realistic.

Lele said...

Your cooking classes all sound so cool and interesting. I'm quite intrigued by artichoke lentil stew, since lentils have magical powers of fullness for me... and artichokes are my favorite veg of all time!

Michelle (Snacks and Field) said...

That workout looks awesome, girl! And you can never have too much cereal and fruit! I had brazil nuts for the first time a little while ago and I really liked them!
And those coconut cookies look amazing!!

ps you looked gorgeous in your last post, I love that dress too- you have such cute clothes! :)

Amanda @ . seek . said...

To my knowledge, I've never had a whoopie pie... Although, I didn't always know the names of the desserts I ate, so I might have enjoyed one without knowing it was a whoopie pie :)

And when it comes to the antioxidant rich foods, I love so many of them... berries, chocolate, tomatoes, carrots... I don't think I could pick a favorite.

That's a really good game plan, hun, when it comes to the marathon. See how you feel physically and go off that; don't let guilt or obligation push you to do something you know in your heart isn't right.

katie anne said...

ive never had a whoopie pie but i have had a devil dog if that counts?! i heard theres like all different types of whoopiw pies, red velvet, carrot cake, hmmmm.....i guess its just not big in ny?
and i agree with ur decision. just see how u feel. no pressure or guilt. that always eases m mind. whenever i feel like I HAVE to do something, i dread doing it!go with the moment lol and let ur heart guide you. xoxoxoxo

Ilana said...

I was just thinking about antioxidants today. They're so fun. Fave antioxidants?? CHOCOLATE!! And pomegranates and cherries and blackberries. I seriously turned to my mom today and said (obnoxiously, as I do), "The richer the color, the higher the concentration of antioxidants!!"

I really don't know if I've ever had a whoopie pie! They sound fun though.

Jessica (Healthy Exposures) said...

Must. try. these. cookies.
I still have yet to experiment with coconut oil, though, believe it or not!
the WFs classes seem like they were a ton of fun. my fav antioxidant is probably blueberries :) I love all berries (well, and antioxidants...) but I adore freshly picked, plum blueberries.

Julie said...

i want those coconut cookies!! except coconut flour is SO expensive! i went to buy it at wf and it was like 7 bucks a pop! where do you get yours??

Maggie said...

I admire your good sense about the marathon, girl! I think you made a really good decision! Wow...I had no idea TJ's makes whoopie pies! I love those! It's a southern staple!

Unknown said...

loving frozen berries right now <3

fittingbackin said...

Nice job on the shape up!! I LOVE coconut - those cookies look awesome! I'm with Julie - where did you get your coconut flour??

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

This:
"it feels strange to be posting in the AM, but since my schedule will be all over the place for the summer, I’m going to experiment with different posting times for awhile to see what works best for me. "

OMG that is ME TOO! I am posting a little earlier in the day, sometimes. Trying to just post is a struggle these days :)

The coconut cookies. OMG Those are perfect and i JUST packed all my dry goods so cannot make these for awhile, but remind me of these in a month. Be like averie, did you make them. that will jog my memory :)

The comment you left me re your parents and always living in the shadow of brother and what parents would have wished you would be...well, i am sure my sister would say the same about me. That i am the taller thinner sister. BUT i would say that she is everything my parents wanted, a "good girl" who plays nice and by the rules and is just a kissass in a way i am not. I am not a "bad girl" but always marched to my own drum.

As adult women, it would be nice to shake these labels and trappings from childhood, wouldnt it :)

thx as always for your lovely compliments to me...and for being you!!!!!
xo

lisa said...

uhh YUM!! “Zippy Yams and Collards,” sounds SOO good!
and
ive never had a whoopee pie either- what are they exactly? im picturing something like a graham cracker type of icecream/cool whip sandwich or something. hahaha please tell!!
:)

Ashlei said...

I would definitely love some of those vegan coconut cookies!

Favorite anti-oxidant foods are blueberries and gojis! :) Yum yum!

Kenzie @ A Healthy Purpose said...

i love carrots! i know that's bland but i'm a huge carrots and hummus fan.. that and cacao! (obviously)

runnerforever said...

Berries are one of my favorite foods and pack antioxidants, win win!

Hayley @ Breath of Fire said...

Gina's workouts are the best. I did her Intro to Iron Pumping and it pretty much got me hooked on strength training, which I have never been able to stick with before.

Pure2raw twins said...

Coleslaw looks yummy!! Glad you are being so open about your race! We love coconut!! Cookies look good.

Post a Comment