Hi everyone! Hope you’ve all had a great day so far! Thanks for all of your comments about eating at others’ houses. It sounds like most of you eat something before you go, and just load up on sides. A lot of you offer to bring a dish as well. Both great ideas!
This morning started with a new to me cereal: Trader Joe’s High Fiber O’s. I had a big bowl with blackberries and almond milk.
After some blog-reading, I headed to the gym to begin week 4 of the Summer Shape Up. Today was arms and abs, and I graduated from 5 lb weights to 7.5 lb ones for most of the exercises. I’m still not going to win any fitness competitions, but I’m improving! I finished with 20 minutes of elliptical HIIT. (Side note: the man on the elliptical next to me blew his nose on his towel, then used the same towel to wipe his machine. Ew? It would be more sanitary if he didn’t “clean” it at all!)
Lunch was a recent favorite: PB&Co.’s The Heat is On peanut butter on a TJ’s habanero lime tortilla (are you sick of this combo yet?), with a side of baby carrots and a huge bowl of strawberries topped with vegan chocolate protein sauce.
Several of you have asked about the protein sauce, so here’s the ratio I use:
- 1 heaping tablespoon chocolate rice protein powder (I use Nutribiotic)
- 1 T cocoa powder (I use Green & Black)
- 1 packet Truvia
- splash of almond milk
Mix and add almond milk until you reach the desired consistency. (This concoction was inspired by April’s protein brownie batter.)
Throughout the afternoon, I snacked on some big green grapes, the last of my TJ’s peanut butter filled pretzels, and several unpictured peanut butter fingers.
For dinner, I decided to make gazpacho. I saw it on Kath’s blog this afternoon and had been craving it all day. None of the recipes I found had all of the flavors I wanted, so I improvised. It turned out delicious!
Gabriela’s Easy Vegan Gazpacho
Makes 7 cups (3-4 servings)
Makes 7 cups (3-4 servings)
12 oz jar of salsa (I used Drew’s medium salsa)
2 medium tomatoes
1 large cucumber
1 red pepper
1 onion
½ c lemon juice
¼ red wine vinegar
1 c vegetable broth
pepper, salt, cilantro and parsley to taste
Chop all vegetables into roughly 1 inch chunks. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and let sit in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Blend in blender or food processor for about 30 seconds, or until the vegetables are combined but still chunky. Serve!
The result was light, refreshing and tangy. A perfect summer dinner! I enjoyed two pieces of Ezekiel bread with TJ’s horseradish hummus on the side.
Dessert was a bowl of fresh raspberries and half of this Chuao spicy maya bar. Another pretty one!
My two goals have been going well these last few days! I’ve been much more aware of the amount of water I’m drinking, especially pre and post workout. As for the picking, I’m slowly improving. I haven’t had any all-out pickfests since I stated the goal, but I’ve caught myself early on several times. One thing that helps is a solid evening snack- last night I had a bowl of Three Sisters marshmallow oaties, as a healthy homage to my favorite childhood cereal:
As I said on Thursday, I realize that this has been a long-standing habit. It’s not going to go away overnight, so what’s important is that I stay positive and take it one day at a time. I can break myself of this! Thank you all so much for you continued support- every reassuring comment that I get makes me feel that much stronger!
What’s your biggest gym pet peeve? I know a lot of people hate cell phones at the gym, but I think my biggest annoyance is horrible B.O.!
What was your favorite childhood cereal? I loved Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Cocoa Puffs J













48 comments:
I have always been a little weary of gazpacho. Cold soup just doesn't seem appealing to me, but if it's KERF and Gabriela approved, it must be wonderful :)
I actually made that protein sauce when I over-liquified April's brownie batter. I love accidental recipes :)
Faovirte childhood cereal = reese's puffs! I suppose I've always had a taste for PB&chocolate :)
love you lady!
So I was in spin class this morning, and a man kept farting! And, to make matters worse, he had B.O. All those offensive odors + intense workout pain = unhappy Anna.
That gazpacho looks glorious!
i hate when people run ahead of me and cut me off and then walk extremely slow!i hate b o tho too so its a close call!lol
i used to love cinnamon toast crunch, count chocular, and believe it or not, graham crackers and milk! used to eat it everymorning. they get all soggy and good!:-)xoxo
i htink people with b.o really get to me. and people that insist on having 2 tvs on the channels they want. what are they, a bobble head?
CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH! i do love quaker oat squares now tho!! delish!!
another annoyance is guys that refuse to put back weights...and attempt to ask me to leave coz i shouldn't be lifting "heavy weights". psh.
Oh, a lot gets on my nerves at the gym. Talking on cell phone, bad b.o., not wiping down machines, someone who jumps in front of you when you have been waiting for a machine... :)
I love cereal! I think when I was younger I really liked fruit loops and reese's puffs!
sometimes i wonder where these people learn their mannerisms (or lackthereof) haha
hope you have a marvelous evening,
Bec
Gym pet peeve is not wiping off the machines with the antibacterial wipes that are provided ALL over the gym! I always wipe my machines before and after.
As a kid, I loved Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams and Honey Nut Cheerios. The same cereals I love today, but rarely eat them.
rice krispie treats CEREAL! omg my favorite everr I also love cinnamon toast crunch! every friday my brother and I got to pick out a 'junky' cereal, it was gone by sunday haha
i love that gazpacho!!! it looks so easy and healthy!!!
I'm not a gym kind of person. I joined one for a year, but
only took classes there.
My favorite cereals as a kid were
Cocoa Krispies and Cheerios.
That is pretty gross about the person next to you at the gym, haha.
Pet peeves at the gym are mostly cell phone, because it is such a distraction. And sometimes people's outfits make me laugh and think what were they thinking. Though it is not really a pet peeve just something that makes me laugh ;)
Favorite cereal growing up was Captain Crunch, Life and Frosted Flakes
oh wow, that wins for one of the grossest gym stories i've heard yet! i would have been completely repulsed too girl!
i've been suuuuuuuch a picker lately!! a munch here and a bite here hahaha gotta tape my fingers up or something!
your gazpacho is GENIUS!! i would totally be all about that especially if the salsa is spiiicayyyy :) enjoy your night girrl
Ack! That's so gross about what that guy at the gym did. If I spent too much time thinking about all of the unhygienic things people do, I'd probably never leave my house in fear of catching something. As it stands, ignorance is bliss :) As for gym pet peeves, bad BO is definitely up there, as are people who go over the time limit when others are waiting to use the machines when the gym is crowded. Grrr.
Your nightly snack made me instantly think Lucky Charms, which were a childhood favorite of mine as well :) Other favorites included Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Corn Pops, Crispix, and Cap'n Crunch.
the gazpacho recipe looks delicious, Gabriela! i remember having gazpacho a long time ago when my friend's dad made it. i disliked it at the time - but i think i'd really like it now.
i used to loove lucky charms, apple jacks, and fruit loops. hmm - now i kind of want to relive apple jakcs!
thanks for the fitness comp shoutout :)
Biggest gym peeve would be not putting the weights back organized. i.e. two 10-lb dumbbells go together, on the first shelf. the 35 lb's go together, in a pair, on the bottom shelf. Not a 50 lb on top and an 8 lb on the bottom and not putting them as pairs. OMG ANNOYS the HELL outta me! It's like what does their house look like if they can't handle pairing up weights. Sorry rant over :)
Cereals as a kid choco rice krispies and original cheerios. ANd golden grahams
xoxo
that chocolate bar is TOO PRETTY to eat!! I love when companies do thigns like that to thier foods =)
and those marshmallow oaties are soo yummy! but i think my fav kiddie cereal was peanut butter cap'n crunch. yum yum YUM! which is why i love barbara's bakery pb puffins so much- they taste almost the same! :)
i also liked cinnamon life- but without milk. straight from the box was best :)
LOVE the new blog layout! So summer-y :)
The gazpacho looks to-die-for! Can't wait to try it out! And I'm def gonna try out the choc topping (on your strawberries) since I already have all the ingredients :)
Have a great night!!! XOXOX
p.s.- love the new layout!!
The gazpacho looks delish!! And holy gross, the nose blowing machine wiping guy makes me want to vom! How can people be so gross and inconsiderate of others?!? Nasty! Love the new look! Xoxo
Your choco bar looks so beautiful! I would have a hard time biting into that. Actually.. no I wouldn't. Also I am sitting here eating one of those brownies and they are delicious!! I started picking, then stopped myself and grabbed a full one and sat down with it. That's an improvement I suppose! My favorite cereal was probably Golden Grahams or Life. I still like them both!
gazpacho- yuuuum. I love my moms golden tomato kind. and your strawberries, Im dying. SO hungry after reading this post!
much love to ya girl! Have a great week!
xo-Molly
www.givinganythingbutup.wordpress.com
my fave childhood cereal was always cinnamon toast crunch, even though my mama would only buy it for us every so often! My biggest pet peeve at the gym is when I run on the indoor track and people walk in the lane that is clearly marked "running"...ugh!
I hope you're having a great week, I love the new set up you have going on!
spicy cocoa is delicious! and i love the pattern on the bar!!
and how cute is ur breakfast with the berries.. and mmm with almond milk. NOM NOM
I too think cell phones are super annoying at the gym also!! Those are some great looking berries too! Congrats on your weights, buff girl! I am doing the 30 day shred with 3 lbers and those are enough for me!
I just bought my first bag of those pb filled pretzels today. I'll be lucky if the last through Wednesday!
I have always been a huge fan of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs, and Reeses Puffs. I still eat them, but for dessert rather than a less than satisfying breakfast.
loving the new layout girlie!! xx
The chocolate you've been eating in the last few posts..um, I want!
Pet peeves at the gym are definitely B.O. and not cleaning machines. I don't need others germs...but these days I am running outside more.
Childhood cereal: we didn't do the sugar thing so it was regular cheerios and sometimes honey nut or oats...I don't mind that now since I don't do it now either!
First, love the new layout! So cute!
Second, I'M WITH YOU on the B.O. thing. I specifically recall one such gym session...there was a rather large man on the elliptical next to me, and although I was really proud of him for being in the gym (is that weird? I always feel proud of people for getting out there and doing their thing...especially when they may not look like your average gym-goer.) I shit you not, I almost ralphed right there on my own elliptical because he smelled so badly. Bleh!
Re: Fav childhood cereal...OMG that's hard because I loved so many! Hmmmm maybe a tie between Honeycombs and Fruity Pebbles???
My biggest gym peeve is people sitting on the weight machines and not using them...talking to friends, texting, or filling out paperwork for the gym...I mean seriously, isn't that what chairs are for? I always feel so mean when I walk up and ask, "Are you using this machine or just sitting there?"
My favorite childhood cereals: Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes!
Eww that thing with the man blowing his nose is gross! One of my pet peeves is this one lady who wears super strong perfume to the gym and somehow always ends up on the machine beside me. The smell is so strong it gives me a headache!
Your gazpacho looks amazing! I love that it is chunky. I usually hate soups because I feel like I'm just having a drink!
cocoa crispies, apple jacks (!!!!), kix!
funny note: i use to poor the milk in and then drain it out so my cereal would only be moist.. not actually sitting in the milk..
actually i still kind of like it that way!! :)
Love the new layout!
My favourite cereals used to be fruitloops and apple cinnamon cheerios- I ate endless bowls of them! I hate the people that are noticably trying to compete with me on a machine. It's fine if they want to work out 'harder' than me but I am not looking for competition here!
Have a wonderful day sweetheart!
My biggest pet peeve would have to be people sitting around chatting on the equipment. I'm there to get in and get out,so waiting for someone who's not even using something is annoying.
I loved Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch!
love the new design!
my biggest gym pet peeve is when people just stand around on a mat, not doing anything...that's valuable space you are taking up, people! move on over!
my favorite cereal growing up was DEFINITELY cocoa puffs, helloooo chocolate milk, but i also loved honey bunches of oats.
My mom made sure we ate really healthy so all of the yummy sugary cereals were off the table. Thus, I developed a strong liking for Puffins, which to this day, are a great way to start the day or have as an afternoon snack.
Gym pet peeve? When people listening to their ipods SING! OUT LOUD! Drives me crazy :)
I love that you call lifting heavier weights "graduating." I do that too. :)
As for your gazpacho recipe? That's getting printed right now. Homegirl needs to go to the grocery store, and I have every intention of buying all the things to make your vegan creation at some point this week. Nom.
Greatest pet peeve? I have some brothers from the hood that work out at my apartment gym...in their jeans. I mean. What?
Have a lovely Tuesday chickadee!
Love, love, love, LOVE your new background. It makes me happy!! And it looks like it suites you ;) Fav Cereal as a kid? I think I liked Fruit Loops, but that was only because my Sister would convince my Grandma to buy that kind. Had it been my choice I probably would have went with Lucky Charms! Hope you're having a great week!!
Your gazpacho looks delicious, girl! Much more authentic than mine. :)
My gym pet peeve: definitely girls that go there to impress guys (lots of make up , etc) and then continue to take up machines when they are just laughing and barely using them! (at least when I was at the college rec center)
Fav childhood cereal: who did love cinnamon toast crunch? hjaha
I hate when the sweat is litterally dripping off them. I was on an elliptical when this guy (who was already sweating buckets by this point) got on next to me and after 5 minutes had a solid puddle by his feet. It completely grossed me out.
LOVE the new layout girl! I definitely want to try your gazpacho - it seems so easy!
Gym pet peeve = people talking on their phones/heavy cologne or perfume
Favorite childhood cereal - Lucky Charms FTW!
EW that is SO gross that the guy did that with the towel!!! I would of probably given him a weird look without even knowing it- lol!
My biggest pet peeve is when people take a machine that they KNOW you are using, but you might be on a quick break or getting water & then they take it! GRR! It's always so frustrating.
Favorite cereal would of been Hunny B's (most people have never heard of them- they only had them out for a limited time..) & I also loved Apple Jacks :)
Love the new layout! Mine was definitely Cinnamon Life....now it's Kashi Cinnamon Harvest!
I've been following your blog (and a lot of blog girls) for a while now. I really want to start blogging, and even have one! I'm sort of shy/embarrassed on how to get started! Any advice would be great!
Ewww I can't believe that that man did that! Disgusting. I hate people in the gym who chew gum. It is so disgusting to watch and the sound is awful.
My favourite childhood cereal is probably Nesquick hoops - chocolate hoops. They are probably so bad for you!
I love the new layout btw, so cute.
FIrst off, all of your food looks amazing as always, you are doing so great girl! As for the gym, I HATE when it is super hot and a person will not let me put a fan anywhere near me because it hits them the slightest bit.
Mmm gazpacho! I recently discovered that I actually like gazpacho, so thanks for the recipe! I find that eating more substantial meals and having solid, planned out snacks (one in the afternoon and one after dinner) really helps me with picking. My favorite cereal is still Cinnamon Life!
omg that gazpacho looks amazing!!!!!!!
GORGEOUS new layout! It's so fresh and...happy :D
I've never had gazpacho. Ahh!! First falafel, now gazpacho. I'm a loser :( hahaha.
My biggest gym pet peeve is when people don't wipe down the machine after using it. I don't care if you haven't sweat a single drip! It's just common courtesy, in my opinion. If I go on a machine after someone who didn't wipe it down, I wipe it down before AND after using it. It's kind of my passive aggressive way of showing my annoyance, haha!
Post a Comment