Saturday, August 6, 2011

Southwestern Black Bean Hummus

I created this hummus recipe a few months ago as a guest post on Ashley's blog, but never posted it over here. Since it's a fun, easy twist on a food everyone loves, I decided it was worth sharing it again! Here's my recipe for spicy, creamy, Southwestern Black Bean Hummus.


Though my kitchen forte is undoubtedly baking, I do like to experiment with savory recipes as well. I come from a family of hummus-lovers, and while I used to think that the spread was difficult to make, in reality it’s incredibly easy. To change things up a bit, here’s my recipe for a black-bean based hummus.
Your browser may not support display of this image. 
Southwestern Black Bean Hummus
  • 1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained with liquid reserved
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, depending on spice preference)
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Simply put all your ingredients into the food processor:




Your browser may not support display of this image.
And blend until your desired consistency is reached, adding bean liquid to smooth if necessary. Makes approximately 3 cups.




Your browser may not support display of this image.
The result is a thick, filling hummus with tons of spice and flavor. Served with tortilla chips, pita or crackers, it would make the perfect appetizer for a Mexican-themed meal!



What's your favorite kind of flavored hummus? Have you ever tried making it yourself?