Thursday, April 29, 2010

One week...

…until summer! The biggest thing getting me through finals is the fact that in one week, I’ll be posting from my big red comfy couch, with a kitchen full of cookware and functioning appliances at my disposal. You know you’re a food blogger when the kitchen space is the thing that most excites you about going home!

I started to feel way better today, which put me in a great mood all day! I set my alarm for my last early workout of the semester in the hopes that I’d feel better, and woke up with my cold symptoms way better. I had a pre-workout snack of a banana with Maranatha PB before heading out to the gym! It’s been over a week since I’d been there last, and even though it was a refreshing break, I was happy to be back. I did an easy half hour on the elliptical so I wouldn’t be wheezing, followed by three reps of 12 in the 12-machine circuit. (I used to be horrible about wiping down machines after I used them, but in the last few months I’ve wised up and carry a few of the sanitizing wipes with me to every station!)

Post-workout breakfast was a new cereal: Nature’s Path Optimum Slim (stupid name, especially since it’s nutritionally identical to the other Optimum cereals), with blueberries, almond milk and cinnamon:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After eating, I headed to my first final. It went really well! I treated myself to the usual Thursday Power-Fu sammie, with a side of seaweed salad and some fresh pineapple and an apple from home:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

On the way home from my afternoon lecture, the blustering wind blew what turned out to be a tiny BUG into my eye. I spent over an hour attempting to flush it out with eye drops, water and tears, and finally laid down in bed with my eyes closed, hoping a catnap would resolve the problem. Thankfully, when I woke up half an hour later, I managed to rub a GNAT out of my eye. Gross. Nothing the rest of my Endangered Species dark chocolate and a few dips in the sunbutter jar couldn’t cure:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was weirdly un-hungry for the remainder of the afternoon, so when the hunger set in at 4:30 I just went ahead and made my salad beast for dinner:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Romaine, tomato, roasted yellow squash and tempeh smothered in humnut sauce

Dessert was an unpictured apple with sunflower seed butter, plus some of April’s protein cookie dough:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2T Nutribiotic Chocolate rice protein powder, 1t cocoa powder, splash of almond milk

Post dinner I got a baking urge, but didn’t want to purchase more ingredients before going home. When I realized I had all the ingredients on hand for Averie’s peanut butter chocolate chip protein bars, I got started right away! I followed the directions almost exactly, simply subbing dry roasted peanuts for the dried fruit, and a broken Lindt 85% bar for the chocolate chips.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I sampled one as soon as they were chilled enough, obviously…perfection J

Tonight I’m taking it easy and catching up on The Hills and The City. I’ve got a fun last weekend in NYC planned, including dinner at the Candle Café tomorrow with a friend, and a formal at Mike’s school on Saturday night. Happy Friday loves!

Do you wipe down gym machines after using them? Be honest! Like I said, I used to be really bad about this :/
Any fun weekend plans? The weather is finally getting nice, so hopefully you all get to spend time outside!

48 comments:

MJC said...

Before you go back home after school, we've got to check out some more veggie restaurants!! :)

Katie ♥ said...

Yay for one more week for you girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay for a fun weekend! You better take pics of you and your man looking hot!!!!

I love Aprils Protein Cookie Dough!!!!!!!

Well Yikes, sometimes I do wipe down the machine, but I actually do most of the time honestly, unless they are out of the wipes which happens like once a month there! lol!

Love ya girl!!!!!!! Woot Woot for Friday!!!!

Anonymous said...

I only use the cardio machines at the gym and I definitely wipe those down when I'm done. I sweat a TON and I know I would be totally grossed out if the person before me didn't. I'd probably be lazier about the weight circuit machines though.

I took a break from studying last night to watch The Hills and The City. I've missed my bad reality TV so much and the new seasons look like good ones!

Maggie said...

I love baking! Today I made chocolate chip coconut cookies in an attempt to clean out my kitchen! I also love the kitchen...it's probably one of my favorite places to hang out. Glad you're feeling better! By the way, what's in that sandwich you got for lunch? It looks interesting!

Anonymous said...

I don't always wipe them down... and it's graduation season here so I'm celebrating!

Anonymous said...

Okay, the ending of The City made me tear up. I was kind of embarrassed of myself :-)

I love that cereal, but yeah, the name annoys me. It sounds like a robot or something.

lisa said...

hahah i dont wipe them down, but i will NOT touch my face or ANYTHING until i wash my hands afterwards. also, i dont use the machiens that have too much body contact (liek the ones you lay down on, who knows what sweaty old guy used it! *shudders at the though*)
altho, if your using the LOVELY gym at NYU, i would imagine it quite nice :D (its in pallidium hall right? i hear theres an ICE SKATING RINK. AHHH!!)
xoxoxLisa

Katie said...

Yum! I need to make those protein bars! They would be good crumbled in greek yogurt. :)

Anonymous said...

HEY LOVE!
yayayay for aLMOST BEING DONE!!! that is soo exciting!! BOO I neeeed to wash them down :( i need to get better about that FO SHO!! LOVE YOU TONS GIRL!!! thank you so much for that song!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

i dont use machines in gyms that require wiping down, i.e. treadmill or hard core cardio, i only do it outside. with weights, i use 80% free weights and no machines other than a rope. If i saw someone not wipe down who sweated up a storm, that would skeeve me!

So happy that summer is so close for you :)

thx for that link to miss kimora. i had seen that before, yeah, scary.

And your body..girl, you look amazing. you're healthy, strong, sexy, gorg face, nuff said :)

Pure2raw twins said...

So glad to hear that you are feeling better girl! Seaweed salad yum!!! I go through moments when I am really good at wiping down machines than sometimes I am in a hurry and forget. I know that is so bad, but I usually try to wipe them down.

Anonymous said...

Your eats look soo good :)! And NYC sounds like bunches of fun!
The thing with the gym machines is that I never really sweat that much (weird, I know), but I do do the spray spray wipedown anyways

Maya said...

A gnat in your eye!? Bleh!

I have a major craving for sunbutter now. Only I have 3 jars of peanut butter/almond butters already. Le sigh. I guess this means I'll just have to work through them faster to be able to buy sunbutter!

Anonymous said...

I always wipe down my equipment - esp the cardio. for machines, i usually just soak a towel in the cleaner and carry it with me from machine to machine.

sophia said...

The weather is getting WORSE here! So freaking windy....
I'll be working like crazy on my paper this weekend! T__T

Unknown said...

AH- that sucks about the gnat in your eye! At least it didn't fly into your mouth (ew...new topic lol)

The PB protein bars are really good :D Have a good rest of the night!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better! Ugh that's gross about the gnat though! That's happened to me before!

College: Raw said...

Eww about the bug!

Haha, I think I'm a bit obsessive about wiping down my machines. I don't really trust that anyone actually wiped the machine down before me, so I usually wipe it down before AND after I use it, haha. Just extra protection... ;-)

Ah, have fun at your formal! You better post pictures!

I'm going to the military ball on campus with a friend on Saturday and out to dinner on Sunday with the campus newspaper staff, so it should be a fun-filled weekend!

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

YES I always wipe down machines at teh gym! (not the strength ones) but the cardio ones, always! I also work in a corporate fitness center, so I know how grimey and dirty it can get! i try to stay on top of it!

those PB bars look so great! averies recipes ROCK!!!

weekend plans?!?! riding the motorcycle with my bf!

Anonymous said...

I would definitely be happy to come home to a nice, fully stocked kitchen :) I bet you'll come up with some deeee-lish eats.

And a gnat?! Ouch! I can't believe it took you so long to get it out; must have hurt like crazy. I don't think I've ever had a bug in my eye, but one did fly into my mouth while i was biking, and I ended up swallowing it before I realized it. Gross. But at least I got some extra protein?

Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my last post, hun; you're an angel <3

Anonymous said...

Ughh, im so bad at wiping down the gym equipment. I should really change that but it seems like nobody else does it as well. The seaweed salad looks really good. I hope this doesnt sound dumb to ask you how you made it? I love seaweed but never eat it.

Weekend plans? Movies. Meditation class. Landscaping house!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

Thanks for the tempeh recipe girl, I'll definitely be trying that!
Glad to hear you are feeling better!!! Only 1 more week, you can do it! I think aside from my family, if I lived in a dorm I would miss having a kitchen SO MUCH!
Oh The Hills... crazyness. I stopped watching it after Lauren left but I watched the 1st episode of this season Wednesday night and now I'm hooked all over again. Drama!
Those bars look awesome!!!
Have a FABULOUS weekend! Love you!

Ashlei said...

Less than a week until summer!! Yay!!! I wipe down the machine with my towel but not with the wipes....

Kait said...

Congrats on the final going well!! Ours don't start until next week, but I only have one so it shouldn't be too bad.
My weekend includes graduation #1, my business school one, and dinner out with my parents at an awesome farm fresh restaurant in Athens!

Hope you have a great weekend girl!

Megan D said...

Haha I totally agree with you- I'm SO excited to go home and have a blender, an oven, etc!

Also I'm curious, what is your power-fu sammie? :)

Anonymous said...

so jealous of your summer vacation, i want mine back!

i always wipe down the cardio machines - because i'm a sweaty girl - but never the weight ones. that's really gross, now that i think about it.

stef said...

so glad you're feeling betta! a beautiful meal like your lunch won't hurt either :). i always try to wipe down the machines,b ut sometimes i just use the towel and no spray if i'm too lazy to walk over and grab the bottle lol. so basically i'm just smearing my sweat around...not useful.

lizzy said...

Hi BEAUTYFULL girl!
summmer is soooo close!! KEEP UP the hard work girlie! I am so so happy you are returning to your full of healthy self! :)
I am a germ-a-freak! I wipe the machines before and after! :)
have a fab friday!
~xoxo!
*blogger hates me so I have to post in google* :(
(lizzyj1305.wordpress)

Ilana said...

Ah I'm jealous that you're going to Candle! I'm tryyyyinggg to get my boy to take me to a vegan restaurant but he's stubborn.

Also you are a genius - I've been dying to make that recipe of Averie's and I think I have all the ingredients...thanks :)

re: wiping down equipment - I've never been to the gym! haha but at Pilates we always wipe down our mats after we're done using them. I know I sweat all over mine so I clean up after myself.

Have an amazing last weekend in New York!!

runnerforever said...

So good to hear your first final went well!
I have to admit, I don't clean off the machines...sad, but true.

student aid said...

Politics:- I made chocolate chip coconut cookies in an attempt to clean out my kitchen! I also love the kitchen...it's probably one of my favorite places to hang out. I only do it outside. with weights, i use 80% free weights and no machines other than a rope. I stopped watching it after Lauren left but I watched the 1st episode of this season Wednesday night and now I'm hooked all over again
medical school.

Ana said...

Girly you have such an exciting weekend ahead!!! Can't wait to see foodie pics from Candle Cafe and of course some formal pics :)

One of the main reasons I am soo excited to be going back home is the kitchen, haha!!

love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Your dinner salad looks amazing! I always wipe down machines after I use them as I tend to sweat!

Yelena said...

Have a great weekend and yay for summer! I always put a towel down on machines, but I suck at wiping them down! I do wash my hands like a maniac though!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health said...

Glad you're feeling better, yay!! I'm feeling better today too....we must be on the same wave length ;)

I always, and I mean ALWAYS wipe down the machine at the gym...even if I wasn't sweaty! Sometimes I even wipe it down before using it, haha. I guess you could say I'm a germaphobe of sorts :)

My plans for the weekend are going to a women's seminar at my church. I'm reeeeally looking forward to it because I've been wanting to get "back on track" with the Lord lately, and I feel like this seminar is coming at the perfect time.

Have an AMAZING weekend, love! xoxo G

Justine said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! Just in time for the weekend, too. :)

I don't wipe down the machines at the gym-however, I don't usually sweat all over them, and I figure that if some one out there is paranoid enough about my hand-sweat, then they can wipe it themselves. I hope you have a relaxing-gnat-free night!

Anonymous said...

ahhh summer is coming. I can't even read the rest of your post I'm too worried now!

Maraih @HealthyGLAM said...

Hi love!! Ahh I'm sooo jealous you only have a week till summer, I still have 5 weeks to go! Those protein bars look absolutely delicious! Have a fab weekend :)

Molly said...

1 more week.. GAB that is so so so exciting! Good luck studying and completing all your exams. I am certain you will do amazing :o)

Your bars look excellent!

Anonymous said...

I definitely wipe down my machines...I just feel bad if someone saw me walk away and not clean them (and the germs of course...). I am so excited to read about your Candle Cafe dinner, that place is so yummy and love the atmosphere. So exciting that it is almost summer for you! have a greaat weekend lady!

Jenny said...

ah one more week for me too, girlie. I am just bursting out of my skin with excitement!!!!!!!! There's no place like home :)!

I REALLY wanted to thank you for all of your uplifting comments/tweets, girl. Seriously, you have become such a wonderful friend and I am so inspired by your strength and optimism. LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

**hugs**

Kenzie @ A Healthy Purpose said...

Averie's done it again! I wipe down machines. Unless I'm on there for only 10 minutes and it's not a sit down machine. Weekend? Laying outside! Wine tasting! Hitting the town with friends! Must celebrate the end of an era ;)

Enjoy the weather on your end! And good luck with finals!

B said...

How many more days until you're on that couch now? I love how you're most excited for the kitchen. That's fair enough, no more slobby roommates either! Too bad my slobby roommate is for life hahah just kidding, it's not just him i'm messy too.
I'm glad you addressed the whole machine wiping business. I used to be especially guilty of not wiping them, but I also used to be sucha a slacker I never really worked up a sweat. Now I wipe (ALMOST always). I also wonder how far it extends? Dumbbells? Smith Machine? By the time i'm done I feel like I should be paid, I cleaned the whole gym.

Hope you're having a fabulous weekend love!!

Megan said...

Hi hun!!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I got the Women's Running Magazine completely randomly in the mail. I'm thinking it must be from signing up for my 1/2 marathon because I also got Running Times and an issue of Runner's World. It's either that or I accidentally signed my life away online haha! Hope you're feeling much better this weekend!!!!!

erica said...

I always wipe down the equipment at the gym. One of my friends got tape worm at a gym once so I am completely careful about what I do and making sure things are clean. Those protein bars look amazing. Too bad I don`t need to eat protein packed stuff. I just came across your blog and am loving it!

xo

Jessie said...

I definitely wipe down machines because I've seen people sweat and blow their noses all over machines (no, I'm not kidding!). Gross. I used to be bad about it, too, but now I spray everything with sanitizing spray!

It looks like we have the same schedule because I'll be done with school in a week, too, and I can't WAIT! Good luck during your final week!

Anais said...

Reading about your work-outs so makes me want to lace up my sneakers!!! :(

I tried sort of similar dressing as yours for my salad (with hummus) and it was so so good! Thanks for the idea :D

Ashlei said...

Dang girl those bars look great!!! Less than a week until summer!! I'm so pumped :)

xoxoxoxo

Post a Comment