Thursday, April 14, 2011

Faux-Drama Junkie

Confession: I'm mildly addicted to old MTV reality shows.


The City, The Hills, Laguna Beach, Newlyweds (!!)....I've rediscovered all of them. And given the fact that I don't have cable, watching an episode or two (or seven) each night has become my guilty pleasure.


The thing is, though, is that I'm not even that big a reality TV person! The only current shows I enjoy are of the Real Housewives genre, but there's something mesmerizing about watching several seasons of a "real-life" TV show in succession. Style evolutions, roller-coaster relationships, near-incestuous hookup connections...I'm hooked.

Indeed, I caught up on season one of The City while eating dinner tonight:


Guacamole salad! I ate a ton of these last summer, and the warm weather made me crave one today. I mashed a large avocado with salsa, lemon juice and salt & pepper, then served it atop a pile of romaine lettuce, diced tomato and chopped carrots with whole-wheat wrap slices.


This combo is one of my favorite summer meals. Fresh, filling and flavorful. So good! For dessert I had a juicy pear.


And then, at the urging of some Twitter friends, broke into the sweet cranberry pecan flavor of the LoveGrown granola I was sent to review.


It was both a good and bad decision. Good, because it's so freaking delicious. Bad, because I gave myself a stomachache plowing through half the bag. I can't help it- I love granola, and the combination of cranberries and pecans in this stuff are perfection.


Gotta go- MTV.com is calling :) Enjoy your evening!

Now that I've told you my dirty little secret, spill- what's your guilty pleasure? Are you a fan of reality TV? What are your favorite trashy shows?